Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan - Cecil Coles: Music from Behind the Lines album download
Behind the Lines: the surviving movements of a suite for small orchestra. 11. 1. Estaminet de Carrefour.
Baritone Vocals – Paul Whelan (2). Composed By – Cecil Coles. Conductor – Martyn Brabbins. Design – Terry Shannon (2). Engineer – John Timperley. Executive-Producer – Edward Perry, Simon Perry (5). Illustration – C R W Nevinson. Leader – Elizabeth Layton. Liner Notes – Jeremy Dibble, John Purser (2).
Coles, C: Behind the Lines. BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Born in Scotland in 1888, Cecil Coles studied composition at Edinburgh University, the London College of Music, and Morley College where he befriended Gustav Holst. He furthered his studies in Stuttgart, and was later appointed assistant conductor at the Stuttgart Royal Opera House. Forced to return to England before the outbreak of the First World War, he signed up for overseas service, and in 1915 was sent to the trenches in France. He continued to compose, including the particularly poignant work Behind the lines (dated on the manuscript ‘Feb 4th 1918, In the Field’)
Sarah Fox, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra & Martyn Brabbins.
1 Overture: The Comedy Of Errors. 2 Fra Giacomo (Scena For Baritone And Large Orchestra). 3 Scherzo In A Minor. Cecil Coles - Sarah Fox, Paul Whelan, CDA67293 BBC Scottish Symphony, Martyn Brabbins. Label Category Country Year. Cecil Coles - Sarah Fox, Paul Whelan, BBC Scottish. Hyperion CDA67293 UK. Brabbins - Music From. Behind The Lines (CD).
Cecil Coles Composer. Martyn Brabbins Conductor. Cecil Coles Composer. Suite from the Scottish Highlands. That just leaves those two surviving movements from the suite Behind the Lines (upon which Coles was working at the time of his death): the manuscript of the deftly scored ‘Estaminet du Carrefour’ (‘Tavern at the crossroads’) was posted to Holst at Christmas 1917‚ while the haunting ‘Cortège’ remained in short score (it’s given here in an sensitive orchestration by Martyn Brabbins).
Cecil Coles "Music from Behind the Lines". Record Label Hyperíon, CDA67293. Year of production 2002. Cecil Coles The Comedy of Errors. The Comedy of Errors La comédie des erreurs. Cecil Coles Fra Giacomo, pour voix et orchestre. Cecil Coles Scherzo en la mineur, pour orchestre. Cecil Coles Four Verlaine Songs 4 Mélodies sur des poèmes de Verlaine, pour soprano et orchestre. 4. Fantastic in appearance Fantastiquement apparue. 5. 2. A slumber vast and black Un grand sommeil noir.
Cecil COLES (1888-1918) Music From Behind The Lines: Overture: The Comedy of Errors (1909-11) Fra Giacomo (1913) Scherzo in A minor (1909-11) Four Verlaine Songs: "Fantastic in appearance", "A slumber vast and black", "Pastoral: The sky above the roof", "Let’s dance the jig" (1909) From the Scottish Highlands (1903) Behind the Lines (1918) Sarah Fox, soprano, Paul Whelan, baritone. There are two vocal works. Fra Giacomo has the admirable Paul Whelan as solo baritone. This is defiant and touched with the enchantment of Elgar's Second Symphony. Coles' music as presented here is a startling discovery and an unfulfilled promise of yet greater things. He had an adept talent for lighter fare conjoined with the drama of the concert scena and the roughened extremes of tragedy.
Add. Behind the Lines. Coles: Behind the lines - suite for small orch:1st mvt; Estaminet du carrefour.
|1||The Comedy of Errors Overture for orchestra||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||11:04|
|2||Fra Giacomo, scena for baritone & large orchestra||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||13:22|
|3||Scherzo for large orchestra in A minor||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||8:14|
|Verlaine Songs (4) for soprano & orchestra|
|4||Fantastic in appearance||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||1:29|
|5||A slumber vast and black||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||2:55|
|6||Pastoral: The sky above the roof||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||1:14|
|7||Let's dance the jig||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||2:49|
|From the Scottish Highlands, for orchestra|
|8||Prelude: Presto scherzoso - Allegro maestoso||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||3:10|
|9||Idyll (Love Scene): Larghetto||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||3:11|
|10||Lament: Adagio non troppo e ben marcato||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||6:11|
|Behind the Lines: the surviving movements of a suite for small orchestra|
|11||1. Estaminet de Carrefour||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||3:20|
|12||3. Cortège||Martyn Brabbins / Sarah Fox / Paul Whelan||5:37|
- Martyn Brabbins / BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra - William Wallace: Creation Symphony; Pelléas and Mélisande; Prelude to The Eumenides album mp3 flac
- Theodore Kerkezos / Martyn Brabbins - Music for Saxophone and Orchestra album mp3 flac
- Steven Osborne / Martyn Brabbins - Alexander Mackenzie: Scottish Concerto; Donald Francis Tovey: Piano Concerto album mp3 flac
- Hamish Milne / Martyn Brabbins - Lyapunov: Piano Concerto Nos. 1 & 2; Rhapsody on Ukrainian Themes album mp3 flac
- Martyn Brabbins / Gemini / Peter Lawson / Lesley-Jane Rogers / John Turner - White Dawn: Songs and Soundscapes by David Lumsdaine album mp3 flac
- Martyn Brabbins / BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra - William Wallace: The Passing of Beatrice; Sir William Wallace; Villon; Sister Helen album mp3 flac
- Timothy Mirfin / Jiří Bělohlávek / Martyn Brabbins / BBC Symphony Orchestra - Brian Elias: The House That Jack Built; A Talisman; Doubles album mp3 flac
- Seta Tanyel / Martyn Brabbins - Edward MacDowell: Piano Concerto No. 1 in A minor; Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor; Second Modern Suite Op 14 album mp3 flac
- Piet van Bockstal / Martyn Brabbins / Levente Kende / Royal Flemish Philharmonic - Luc Van Hove: Piano Concertos; Triptych album mp3 flac
- Martyn Brabbins / Howard Shelley / BBC National Orchestra of Wales - Leighton: Symphony No. 1; Piano Concerto No. 3 'Concerto estivo' album mp3 flac